RV Insurance Frequently Asked Questions
- Do I have to wait until my current insurance policy expires to switch my policy to the Good Sam Insurance Agency? I just renewed my current policy?
- Do I have to pay for full RV coverage even during the months I’m not using my RV?
- Does the Good Sam Insurance Agency provide coverage for my RV’s permanent attachments and accessories?
- How much recreational vehicle coverage do need?
- What makes the Good Sam Insurance Agency my best choice for recreational vehicle coverage?
- How do I reduce my RV insurance premium?
- Does my recreational insurance policy cover all of the drivers in my household?
- How do I make changes to my recreational vehicle insurance policy?
- Will the Good Sam Insurance Agency provide the protection I need if I live in my RV full time?
- Will I be covered if I travel to Mexico in my RV?
- A fellow RVer is still making payments on an RV that was totaled. Can Good Sam VIP help keep this from happening to me?
1. Do I have to wait until my current insurance policy expires?
I’d like to switch to the specialized RV insurance only available through the Good Sam Insurance Agency, but I just renewed my current policy?
Switching to the Good Sam Insurance Agency is easy, and you can do it at any time.
Just take a few minutes to get a free quote and buy online, or call 1-888-514-1116
and mention Savings Code TD-80.
Once you’ve purchased a specialized recreational vehicle policy from The Good Sam Insurance Agency, simply cancel your other policy.
We can even help you do it right over the phone, and your other insurer will refund any unused premium you’ve paid for your now-canceled policy.
2. Do I have to pay for full RV coverage even during the months I'm not using my RV?
You can reduce your premium by as much as 53% when you’re not using your RV.
With the Good Sam Insurance Agency Storage Option, you can "turn off" the coverages you don’t need during the months you’re not using your RV.
You will still be protected from hazards like theft, fires, and storms.
Just six months of the exclusive Storage Option could save you up to $400!
3. Does the Good Sam Insurance Agency provide coverage for my RV’s permanent attachments and accessories?
Attachments and accessories like awnings, levelers, tow kits and antennas are covered for the full amount it would cost to replace them – at no extra charge.
4. How much recreational vehicle coverage do I need?
Deciding on the coverages that are best for you and your RV may seem daunting, but the RV experts at the Good Sam Insurance Agency will make it easy for you.
Just try the free online quote form, or call 1-888-514-1116
and mention Savings Code TD-80
and a licensed insurance agent will help you choose the RV coverages that are right for you.
Here are some factors that you need to consider when determining the right RV insurance for your unique lifestyle:
State Requirements -
Your home state will have its own minimum RV insurance requirements.
Your state’s Department of Motor Vehicles can provide details.
Leased or Financed Vehicles -
Insurance requirements for motorhomes, trailers, and fifth wheels that are financed or leased can be different
from the insurance required for a recreational vehicle that you own outright.
So that you don’t have to pay the full cost of an RV that is involved in an accident or other claim, you may be required carry a certain level of coverage.
Once you’ve paid for the RV in full, you may be able to change your coverage options to suit your preferences.
Deductibles and Coverage Limits -
Be sure to choose a deductible and coverage limits based on how much you can realistically pay out of your own savings in the event of a claim.
While a higher deductible and lower coverage limits can result in a lower premium,
paying a bit more for your recreational vehicle insurance with a lower deductible and higher liability limits could save you much more money in the long run.
Storage Option -
The Good Sam Insurance Agency Storage Option allows you to suspend the collision and liability coverages
you don’t need during the months your RV is not on the road.
This can reduce your premium by an average of 53% when you’re not using your RV.
Comprehensive coverage remains in effect to protect you from hazards like theft, fires, and storms.
5. What makes the Good Sam Insurance Agency my best choice for RV Insurance?
The Good Sam Insurance Agency was designed by RV experts for RVers, to provide specialized coverages that meet the specific needs of the RV lifestyle.
While most "ordinary" auto insurers treat your RV like it’s just a big car, the Good Sam Insurance Agency provides the coverages that no RVer should be without,
like Personal Effects Coverage, Permanent Attachments Coverage, Optional Full Replacement Cost Coverage, and Hitch Coverage.
6. How do I reduce my RV insurance premium?
The Good Sam Insurance Agency is loaded with ways to ways to save, including discounts for:
- Being a Good Sam Club Member
- Paying your premium in full
- Putting your RV and auto on one policy
- Using the Storage Option when your RV is not in use
- Being a safe driver
- Having safety and anti-theft devices
- And much more...
RV customers who switch save an average of $530 per year
. Get a free quote online,
or call 1-888-514-1116
and mention Savings Code TD-80 to see how much you can save.
7. Does my RV insurance policy cover all of the drivers in my household?
All of the drivers that you listed when you bought your recreational vehicle insurance policy will be covered.
Please call 1-888-514-1116 if you have any questions about listing drivers on your policy.
8. How do I make changes to my RV insurance policy?
Once you’ve purchased a policy through the Good Sam Insurance Agency, you can create an account online and manage your policy whenever you want wherever you want.
It only takes a few minutes to go online and:
- Pay your bill
- Print RV insurance policy documentation
- Get information regarding claims
- Change your RV insurance deductibles and coverage limits
- Remove or add or RVs and drivers
- Update your contact information and billing address
9. Will the Good Sam Insurance Agency provide the protection I need if I live in my RV full time?
Yes. The Good Sam Insurance Agency features Full-Timer Coverage designed to provide protection similar to a homeowner’s policy for RVers who live in their recreational vehicles.
10. Will I be covered if I travel to Mexico in my RV?
No, U.S. recreational vehicle insurance policies are only good in the United States, however, the experts at the Good Sam Insurance Agency will help you get Mexico insurance through approved Mexico insurance professionals.
Please do not go RVing in Mexico without the proper coverage! Contact us for more information.
11. A fellow RVer is still making payments on an RV that was totaled.
Can the Good Sam Insurance Agency help keep this from happening to me?
Yes. With the Good Sam Insurance Agency’s Optional Full Replacement Cost Coverage,
if your RV is totaled or stolen (and not recovered) in its first five model years it will be replaced with a comparable new RV, even if you're not the original owner.
After the first five model years, you will receive your full original purchase price – not a depreciated amount – toward the purchase of the replacement RV.
Replacement Cost Coverage must be purchased during the RV's model year or within the following four years.
Availability, eligibility, coverages, features and benefits may vary by state and carrier. The content herein is for descriptive purposes only.
The Good Sam Vehicle Insurance Plan (VIP) is provided by a member company of the National General Insurance Group.
Savings data is based on new policyholder surveys from January 1, 2016 to December 31, 2016